2018年1月17日星期三

新加坡华人



A confused society

新加坡华人的身份在外国人的眼中是『四不像』。

不信?看看一下一名新加坡华人和一名外国人的对话....

S: I am s Singaporean,
F: But u look Chinese
S: I am a Chinese Singaporean/ I am a Singaporean Chinese.
F: So do u speak Chinese?
S: Yes, but not fluent.
F: But u r a Chinese.
S: I am a Singaporean Chinese, not Chinese from China.
F: But your great grandfather is from China?
S: Yes, but I was born in Singapore, so I am a Singaporean Chinese.
F: So your great grand father speaks Chinese?
S: He speaks dialect.
F: Do u speak dialect?
S: No, I don’t.
F: Why not?
S: Because our country has a Speak Mandarin Campaign that is so successful that the new gereration practically do not speak dialect anymore.
F: So u should speak very fluent Mandarin since it’s so successful?
S: No. That campaign was effective before, but not anymore.
F: Why?
S: Because most people speak English nowadays. We have a Speak Good English Campaign.
F: So English is your national language?
S: No!
F: So what is the national language of  Singapore?
S: Malay.
F: What?
S: Yes, Malay!
F: Do u speak Malay?
S: No.
F: Why not?
S: Because  I am not Malay.
F: Then why is your national language Malay?
S: That’s another long history lesson.
F: So your national language is Malay and nobody speak it?
S:The Malays speak Malay. That’s their mother tongue. We have 4 races : Chinese, Malay, Indian & Eurasian. Each speaks their own mother tongue.
F: So your mother tongue is Chinese?
S: Yes.
F: But u can’t speak it fluently?
S: Yes.
F: Does the Malay or Indian speak fluent mother tongue?
S: More fluent than the Chinese speaking Chinses I supposed.
F: Why?
S: Because that’s their mother tongue.
F: Then why can’t the Chinese?
S: Because we speak English mainly in school.
F: I last heard that Singapore has bilingual policy.
S: Yes., we have, we do learn mother tongue in school.
F: But u cannot speak Chinese fluently.
S: Yes.
F: Why?
S: Because our contry’s working language is mainly English, there is not much places to use the language, perhaps omly with our grandparents & when we buy things in the market.
F: Then how is that bilingual?
S: I don’t know.
F: So u are a Singaporean Chinese who can’t speak your national language & cannot speak your mother tongue fluently & can only communicate in English with a strange accent.
S: What’s wrong with my accent?
F: I don’t know, it is just weird.
S: Does it sound British or American?
F: Neither. I thought u should sound British since u have been colonized before?
S: No, that was long long time ago, dude..
F: How come u try to sound American?
S: Because I watch a lot of Hollywood movies.
F: Your English still sounds weird.
S: Oh, we call it Singlish.
F: So what are u really?
S: I am a Singaporean.
…..

没有评论: